Fishing in Croatia

Licences & Regulations


To go fishing in Croatia, you must first get a mandatory fishing permit. These are readily available from Croatian travel agents or from local offices.

Croatian fishing law does not have an age limit. All you need is a proof of identity such as a passport. You’ll find the offices which provide the fishing permit in every town that’s along the coast. You can also visit the tourist agencies in case you have difficulty finding these offices.

The cost of a license varies from place to place. Quite unlike a lot of countries and their laws regarding fishing license, the fishing license in Croatia is also affected by the weather. There is a license for one day, weekly and yearly permit. You can choose the permit that best suits your fishing plan and your needs.

If you don’t plan on fishing for days consecutively, it’s best to get a daily license whenever you feel like fishing. However, if you don’t like the idea of visiting the travel agency or the office every time before you go fishing, it would be better to opt for a weekly license.

Also, there are several places where fishing is prohibited. These include the estuaries of river Mirna, Rasa, Jadro, Cetina, Neretva, Dragonja, and some parts of the Lim channel, Klimno bay, and Medulin bay.

  • The fishing rod, as well as the gear, should be under your constant supervision.
  • You cannot use artificial bait with more than two hooks.
  • The sizes of artificial bait are different for different fish species.
  • The minimum age for applying for a fishing permit in Croatia is 15.
  • The different fishing clubs determine the regulations for night fishing as well as the size of the catch.

For more information about fishing regulations in Croatia, visit this link.


The official fishing season in Croatia begins on the first day of spring. The best period for Carp fishing is from May to September. You might be able to land a decent catch around October as well, but it will depend on the temperature of the water.


Ministry Of Agriculture


Croatian Sports Fishing Association


Check List

  • Fishing Permit (see above)
  • Photo ID
  • Travel Insurance - we recommend these providers

If you are driving:

  • Green Card (Insurance) - contact your insurer
  • Driving licence
  • Vehicle Log Book
  • GB Sticker (unless GB identifier is on your number plate)
  • Be aware of road tolls & charges - see here for details

NB: If you hold a paper only driving licence or a driving licence from Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man, you may need a 1968 IDP. Check with the Croation Embassy.

Recommended Service Partners

For the best deals and for Carp Circle assurance use our recommended partners:

Car Hire

Have a car waiting for you upon arrival. Great rates guaranteed.

Travel Insurance

Stay safe & stay covered. Best rates for European travel.


Daily budget flights in and out of all main European airports.